In recent years, vertical video has become increasingly popular and prevalent across social media platforms, changing the way we consume video content online. As a result, marketers have had to adapt their strategies to accommodate this new format.
According to a study by Wibbitz, 93% of marketers say they’ve landed a new customer thanks to a video on social media. With the rise of vertical video-based social media platforms such as TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram, there has been a significant shift in the way brands approach their advertising campaigns and produce content for their websites.
But what makes vertical video so important for these campaigns?
Well, for starters, over 94% of mobile users hold their phones vertically, making vertical video a more natural and intuitive format to consume on mobile devices.
In addition, studies have shown that vertical video ads can achieve a higher engagement rate than their horizontal counterparts. For example, Snapchat found that vertical ads have up to 9 times more completed views than horizontal ads.
As such, it’s crucial for marketers to consider using vertical video in their social media campaigns.
To find out more about how to adopt your marketing strategy to include vertical video, as well as information on how to drive successful campaigns on social media, feel free to reach out to our team on 0161 327 2635 or email [email protected].
Vertical Video Stats to Transform Your Business
If you’re a budding entrepreneur, or you already run a successful business, it’s important to keep up with the latest marketing trends, in order to increase the reach of your campaigns.
The following statistics show just how important vertical video can be when included in a marketing strategy.
- Databox has found that vertical videos have 13.8% more visibility on Facebook, showing just how important they are when using social media marketing.
- In the same study, Databox discovered that vertical videos have 90% more visibility when compared to posts with images.
- Vertical videos have higher click-through rates than horizontal videos. According to a study by Wibbitz, vertical videos on Instagram Stories have a 14% higher click-through rate than horizontal videos.
- Another interesting stat from Covideo shows that you can reach up to 58% more people with branded vertical videos.
- Vertical videos have been shown to improve brand recall among viewers. In a study by Magna Global, vertical videos had a 90% brand recall rate when compared to 69% for horizontal videos.
- According to a study by HubSpot, vertical videos on Instagram Stories have a 33% higher reach than horizontal videos.
Interesting Mobile Vertical Video Stats
Mobile marketing is incredibly important in the modern era, as over 4.18 billion people use their mobile devices to access the internet. 80% of social media traffic around the world comes from mobile users, with 61% of them using smartphones to access social media pages.
The following statistics show exactly why you should consider optimising your vertical videos for mobile users if you haven’t already.
- According to a study by eMarketer, vertical videos are the preferred ad format among mobile users. 71% of mobile users said they preferred vertical videos over horizontal videos.
- Vertical videos can be useful marketing tools for marketers targeting smartphone users. Medium found that Facebook vertical videos shown on smartphones attract almost four times more engagement than square videos on Facebook.
- The same is true for Twitter, as vertical videos shown on Twitter have 2.5 times increased engagement when compared to horizontal videos.
- Twitter also found that 90% of their vertical video views came from mobile users.
- Vertical videos are more mobile-friendly and provide a better user experience for viewers who watch videos on their phones – 94% of smartphone users hold their phones vertically when watching videos. (Source: eMarketer)
- Vertical videos are more viewable on mobile devices because they don’t require viewers to rotate their phones. According to Snapchat, vertical videos have 90% more viewability than horizontal videos.
- Vertical videos take up more screen real estate on mobile devices, making them more eye-catching and attention-grabbing than horizontal videos. In fact, vertical videos take up 78% more screen space on mobile devices than horizontal videos. (Source: Instapage)
Important Social Media Vertical Video Stats
Social media is one of the most popular domains for vertical video, so it’s crucial that you incorporate social media into your marketing campaigns.
- According to a study by Snapchat, vertical videos have higher completion rates than horizontal videos. Users are 9 times more likely to complete a vertical video than a horizontal video.
- Snapchat also found that vertical video ads have 2 times higher purchase intent than horizontal video ads.
- Ironically, Youtube has a low CTR (click through rate) for video advertising among all age groups when compared to Instagram and Facebook – the former has a CTR of 0.46% among 18-24 year olds.
- Vertical videos have been shown to increase engagement on social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok. According to a study by Buffer, vertical videos on Instagram have an engagement rate that’s 2-3x higher than horizontal videos.
- According to Buffer, 62% of Facebook users surveyed admitted that vertical videos shown on Facebook stories increased their interest in a product/service.
Other Vertical Video Stats You Need to Know
Here are some of our other favourite vertical video stats that you need to know about.
- Vertical videos have a higher watch completion rate than horizontal videos, with users reporting that 90% of vertical videos are watched to completion. (Source: Yansmedia)
- You might assume that highly polished vertical videos are the way to go, but they can be very costly. Creating a DIY video can reduce the price of your video by up to 50% per 10-second video view, making them extremely cost-effective.
- Buffer also found that creating unpolished DIY videos were up to two times more effective than expensive, glossy videos, showing that the DIY approach sometimes pays off.
- If you’re wanting to save more on the cost of your vertical videos, you may want to consider using Instagram over Facebook. A typical Instagram Stories ad costs between five and ten pence per click
- However, a Facebook feed ad can cost up to six times more.
- According to Medium, vertical videos received more attention in their Weekly Roundup videos than other forms of video, gaining 100% more video views and 130% more unique viewers.
Stand Out from the Crowd by Incorporating Vertical Video into Your Marketing Strategy
As you can see, vertical video can be an incredibly effective tool for any marketing campaign, regardless of the business you run.
With the recent rise of internet technology and smartphones, it’s never been more important to rise up to the challenge and get on board the vertical video train. Whilst vertical videos can be incorporated into just about any form of marketing, they’re often used in the world of paid social.
At Embryo, we’re a specialist digital marketing firm, dedicated to improving the lives of our clients one strategy at a time. We’re a full-service agency based in Manchester which means we can help businesses with all manner of paid and organic channels such as Content marketing, SEO, and Digital PR, as well as PPC.
By combining these services together, we can help you create the perfect digital marketing campaign. If you’d like to find out more, get in touch and we’ll help you turn your business around!